In this post-quarantine world, an occasion to get dressed up is welcome! For your big day, you have a specific look in mind not only for yourself and the bridal party but for your guests as well. Set the tone for your guests with a dress code directly on your invitation or website, so everyone is in the know! Wedding Dress Codes – Decoded.
- This is the most formal dress code possible. Men should wear a tuxedo with tails, a white shirt, a vest, a bow tie, gloves, and dress shoes such as oxfords. Women should wear a floor-length formal evening gown, accessorized with jewelry and heels.
- This dress code is one step below White Tie. Women should still wear a formal floor-length gown, but a formal jumpsuit pantsuit is also acceptable. Men should still wear a tuxedo and bow tie, but they have the option of a vest or cumberbund and patent leather shoes.
Formal or Black-Tie Optional:
- This dress code is to be taken as slightly less formal than Black Tie. The biggest difference between this dress code and Black Tie is for the men. They have the option of a nice tailored suit, but it is still appropriate to wear a tux. Women should still wear a floor-length gown or a dressy pantsuit.
- This dress code is a popular style. It should be somewhere between formal and semi-formal. Women, while still open to wearing a floor-length gown, can opt for a tea or knee-length style. Men should wear a suit and tie, but are not obligated to wear a tux.
Semi-Formal or Dressy Casual:
- The semi-formal dress code is one of the most common in modern weddings. This style of dress allows for more comfort and flexibility in styling but is still on the formal side. Women should leave their floor-length dresses at home for a semi-formal and opt for knee or tea-length dresses or a dressy jumpsuit. Flats and wedges are also appropriate for a semi-formal affair. Men should wear a dress shirt and slacks (the color depending on the time of day) and a tie and jacket are optional.
- If you’re invited to a wedding with a “casual” dress code, you can be much more laid-back in your attire. This is a popular option for outdoor and beach weddings as they are more weather and terrain specific. Men may wear dress pants or khakis and a collared shirt, while women may wear a sundress or jumpsuit with wedges or dressier sandals. Unless specified, jeans, shorts and tank tops are most likely not appropriate for a casual dress code.